Through researching the Jack & Jill nursery rhyme I found many different theories of what it really means, from two priests negotiating a marriage, Kings being beheaded, to tax prices on liquid. I was also surprised to find more to the rhyme than the first verse, and that each verse following has alternate versions from different origins.
The most popular interpretation seems to be the one where King Charles 1 tried to change the tax prices on liquid and was stopped by parliament, so instead changed the volumes of the Jack (1/2 pint) and as a result so did the Jill (Gill, 1/4 pint).
I have decided to interpret the rhyme to be in a more modern, but 'cartoony' world. I am keeping the idea that it is a boy and girl, but changed it from children to cats, because I wanted to make it a bit more unique. I chose to interpret it this way so people can hopefully enjoy it a bit more than the traditional dark interpretations, even though mine first appears to be dark I gave it a twist.
I used a sketched, cutout style because I like the idea of being able to draw something and make it come to life through animation. The theme of two cats in the night needed to have a dark appearance, so I tried to stylize the characters and scene as slightly twisted. The text I used for the actual verses are giant bold letters floating in the sky, most of the words are hidden which is intentional because the audience already knows the story of Jack & Jill, and it makes it sit in the background better.
Originally I had decided to use no music but I had an idea whilst animating that the cats will try to make music themselves, and added the appropriate track to go with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment